
Right before Christmas Caleb, Sarah and I had an opportunity to go see G.G. For those of you who don't know G.G. stands for Gorgeous Grandmother and it is what I have called her all of my life(being she is my grandmother)She is the only great grandparent living and she has recently been moved into a nursing home, much to her dislike. I think she enjoyed seeing us and the kids enjoyed taking her for a stroll around the nursing home. I am struck with the realization that I have not been a great grandchild. I got busy with my own life and then having divorced parents(ie. no one family celebrations) I did not spend quality time with her like I would have loved to have done. Now I am hoping that my own children will get to spend a little more time with her. But I am sad that they won't get to experience G.G's house like I did when I was young. What a treasure trove of memories I have of her house. Hunting in the "jungle" or should I say overgrown fern pathways in her yard. The painting, the knick knacks. The reading aloud of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories as well as many other favorites. And dancing to Harry Belafonte sing the banana boat song. I pray that my children will have those same memories of their grandparents in this hustle and bustle life we lead.

No comments:
Post a Comment